blogs and Facebook

I had a little romance with Fakebook that didn’t last long. The enforced brevity of messages, apparent dispersion of interests (concentrated along predictable axes), flattening impression I got when reading even very interesting notes and comments on the pages of some engaged and engaging people, not to mention the absence of control over security and privacy, plus the time spent reading junk, were problematic. The hearsay that FB removes from its pages any information regarding the proper way to request complete erasure of one’s account (photos, data, etc.) led me to do that: request a complete erasure of my account rather than deactivation.

The way to erase your account is: go to this link and proceed. Then wait fifteen days before checking again (I believe any attempt to check before two weeks, including going back to the link above, which takes you to FB, will nullify your request to erase your account).

2 thoughts on “blogs and Facebook”

1. Thanks for the link, I am shocked to see the amount of information that facebook allows other services to collect about its users. Even though you deleted your account there are websites that depending upon the length of time you were on facebook could have cached your account and basically have your info. Simply Google’ng your own name in quotations and you might find some of these sites. Thanks again, I bookmarked that link for some of my friend and clients who have talked about deleting their accounts.

2. Yeah, a while back I did check what was out there on me. Not too much as far as I could tell. Still, I was really annoyed by FB’s handling of privacy…