memento mori

All local stations this morning, whether broadcasting BBC, NPR, or other programs, were in memory mode. I shut the radio off after a couple of minutes, for the same reason I shut off the television ten years ago when I realized I was looking at people jumping off the WTC buildings. Time enough to hear a line or two of the psalm Obama read and recognize Psalm 46. This is the psalm in which one of the translators or arrangers of the 1610 King James Version placed the words “shake” and “spear” respectively 46 words down from the beginning and 46 words from the end (not counting the concluding *sela*), presumably to honor Shakespeare’s 46th birthday in 1611. A mundane thing to do to a sacred text, yet not so different from what the Hebrew poet (or arranger) did in the same Psalm when making sure the words Elohim and Yahweh were used respectively 7 and 3 times. It is understandable the 1610 translator would be fascinated by such an artificial arrangement of three stanzas and a refrain that appears only after stanzas 2 and 3, and carry it a little further.

I don’t find this particular psalm very comforting or helpful. The reason for the impression is not simply that it uses a little rhetorical gadgetry. To say that: “The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge” (NRSV translation) is a fine incantation. It may help those who suffer real losses. But the others? When the powers that be use this incantatory language, what is it for? I still remember Billy Graham a few days after the attack on the towers, in Washington’s cathedral, calling for moral rearmament, struggle against Satan, evil…. exactly the same discourse Mollah Omar was giving to the Pashtun population at about the same time.

There is hope. Perhaps Wall Street will stop selling and trading labor Monday. Perhaps radio and television stations will go real quiet.