Writing tools

These are notes on software tools I use in writing and presentations. I’m posting them for anyone interested in writing, publishing, lecturing. Comments welcome.

I used to write in copybooks, on loose sheets, the back of envelopes, and wrapping paper. The scratching of the pen and the shaping of the ink on the paper helped in thinking, or so I thought. Now I do much of the writing directly on computer and screen. I learned to type when I began to use computers, in my thirties. I’m talking amber screens, a prompt and text only, with a non-visual editor (in spite of its acronym), vi, and mysterious Unix commands that one used to handle files and send them to the printer. Thirty years later, I still remember those commands, the vi ones in particular, and the strings of code I typed to obtain Greek and Hebrew. I also remember I couldn’t think at the screen. This inability to think increased when windows appeared on various machines, for instance the Mac and then on so-called Windows desktop machines. I found the commercial programs very constraining: they lined text up in ways one could do little about, hyphenated things without permission, and made you concerned above all about how things looked. And they cost dearly at every major re-issue, forcing the user to become a kind of renter on contract for an indefinite period of time. I don’t like to be on a leash. I also worried about the archival aspect: would the documents I cared about be readable ten or twenty years from now, given the inexorable change of operating systems and proprietary programs (.doc, .pdf, and others)? Of course one can use TextEdit on the Mac, or even better Bean, which allows you to work on .doc or .docx files without any problem. Spare program though, for the ascetically minded.

I looked for other ways to do things, especially after Unicode encoding became easily accessible, and found that there are tools which are powerful, entirely free, presently fairly easy to install, and highly configurable. They allow complex multi-lingual texts to be beautifully typeset or produced, which is what I’m interested in, while keeping them in the simplest possible original format (.txt or .tex files).

So here is a list of what I have been using for quite a while, with short explanations and examples.

Tools

1. Free:
    • TeX, a typesetting system designed and mostly written by Donald Knuth. It is presently easy to install, in the default cross-platform distribution called TeX Live. Mac users simply may download and install MacTeX. I use only part of this large distribution, something called XeLaTeX, which makes the high-quality typesetting of most languages a breeze. I’m interested in using LuaLateX, a new flavor promised to a great future but am waiting for its maturing. All of this lies hidden in the bowels of my machine and never fails, in years of use.
    • A highly recommended editor for the Mac: TeXShop. I can type left-to-right and right-to-left languages easily, typeset my source entries by using the included engines (XeLaTeX mostly), look at the pdf produced by it, and navigate from source to pdf with great precision (with the help of its sync mechanism).
    • A bibliographical tool for Mac (Unicode encoding also), BibDesk. It manages any kind of bibliographical data for many applications, not only for TeX or LaTeX above.
    • Fonts: Aside from the fonts that come with the Mac (mostly Hoefler Text), I also use Linux Libertine, TeX Gyre, esp. Pagella and Schola, as well as Latin Modern. Other good fonts rich in special characters are: Gentium and Charis, or Junicode. For Hebrew and Greek, see the high quality SBL Greek and SBL Hebrew.
  2. Not free:
    • another editor for Mac, TextMate. This is overkill for a text editor, since TeXShop is already so good. It is for software writers, not really for me, but I find it has features I miss in TeXShop:
      1. It has project windows (or in TextMate 2, a powerful file browser). In a project containing a number of chapters or articles, I can do a global find and substitute, or simply find passages where I have taken notes or reflected upon some topic. Because I have many texts, I find this extremely useful. I can also easily switch from file to file. This feature is very important when I prepare courses: I have immediate access to grades, lectures, text sources, etc.
      2. TextMate provides “bundles” which are specialized tools: I prepare my courses with “Markdown.” My structured text becomes a html page, with pictures, links, etc., which I project as a html file in class. Or I write this blog and load it in about a second to my WordPress page. And I use the LaTeX bundle (see TeX above).
      3. This LaTeX bundle has special advantages:
        • color syntax: footnotes, quotes, bibliographical references are colored as I prefer.
        • citation completion: while I write, it is enough to remember the name of an author and punch in a key combination. The program searches the BibDesk data files (even though BibDesk application is closed) and presents the possibilities in a window from which you choose what you need. Very convenient to generate commented bibliographies or reference lists for students.
        • structuring the text and navigating it are made very easy: this is a problem in many applications, where one needs to scroll back and forth…
      4. Fonts: I purchased GraecaUBSU (for Greek) and NewJerusalemU (for Hebrew) from Linguist’s Software.

Workflow

1. For courses:
    • I use TextMate and its Markdown bundle to write text files and transform them into html or pdf files which I either post on the web or project on the screen in class. Other formats are possible. No need for power point presentations.
    • I also provide source texts and fuller lecture notes which I typeset with XeLaTeX (see above) and put on a server and link to the class page (just an example, the course on the notion of sin).
    • Note: I use a portable computer in class, but a desktop to prepare text (larger screen, easier on the eyes). This means I need to backup all of my material in such a way that it is simultaneously identical on the two machines. I use Dropbox for this task. It is free, if use is below 2GB (presently more: 5GB?).
  2. For writing:
    • I write a .tex file in a large project called “Writing” (surprise!). Suffixes like .tex are automatically recognized by either TextMate or TeXShop as files that can be color coded and processed in the proper TeX fashion. My “Writing” project is a bit too large but in fact opens rather quickly. I find it convenient to have everything gathered in one spot so that I can easily do a global search.
    • For examples of how LaTeX works, see the TeXShop website.
    • Last remark: the packaging of text, images, and sounds for public or individual use is changing rapidly. The tools listed above are very flexible in this regard. Most commercial applications are poor competitors.

3 thoughts on “Writing tools”

1. Although it’s the second external link at the Wikipedia XeTeX page linked above and I suspect you know it yourself, I thought I’d point out to visitors the attractive Beauty of LaTeX site, which provides a brief comparison of MS Word and XeLaTeX and some useful links. Also, for those not fortunate enough to be able to use TeXShop on a Mac, Jonathan Kew (the principal author of XeTeX) and a few other people are actively working on a cross-platform front-end inspired by if not as well developed as TeXShop at this stage, TeXworks, with source and both stable and unstable builds for Mac and Windows hosted at Google Code and a .deb installer available through the Ubuntu Software Center.

2. Thank you for pointing out the Beauty of LaTeX site and the cross-platform TeXworks editor. With (Xe)LaTeX, I did recover some of that aesthetic feeling I have with pen and paper, the feeling of creating something of value, or more exactly the feeling of participating in a cooperative, polymorphous, creative enterprise.

3. Another resource, still in development, is now available: LaTeXLab on Google Docs. I just tried it and found it very convenient. I think that it is a great solution for everyone, including beginning LaTeX users. When one enters the site (needed: Google Docs account, which is easy to create), it starts with a simple template with color-coded commands which one can compile and adjust to taste. Simply change the title and replace the text. It is possible to see document source and pdf output in split windows. I would like to see how this setup works on an iPad: with Papers and LaTeXLab/google docs, (going from Papers.app to Chrome or Safari), one is very close now to a very light and powerful tool. What is missing: BibDesk access and bibliographical completion while writing in LaTeXLab.

I would love a non-google solution. Perhaps universities can make TeX compilers available on their version of the “cloud”. For now there is Tex Touch for the iPad, and the possibility of compiling on the developer’s “cloud.”